Do you know how to wash hair extensions the right way? If your hair extension usually gets tangled or has a short life span, maybe you have cleaned it the wrong way. Here are the 6 steps of how to wash hair extensions at home.
- 1 Why you need to know how to wash hair extensions properly
- 2 How to wash hair extensions with 6 easy steps
- 2.1 Step 1 of how to wash hair extensions: Comb and untangle hair
- 2.2 Step 2 of how to wash hair extensions: Wash hair extensions
- 2.3 Step 3 of how to wash hair extensions: Gently squeeze the hair
- 2.4 Step 4 of how to wash hair extensions: Dry your hair extensions
- 2.5 Step 5 of how to wash hair extensions: Use hair care to the extensions
- 2.6 Step 6 of how to wash hair extensions: Preserve hair extension after use
- 3 Notes to help hair extension has long life span
Why you need to know how to wash hair extensions properly
Hair extensions are an amazing item for women to solve aesthetic problems of hair. When a woman owns hair extensions, she should be aware of hair extensions information. In order for the extension to always promote its effects, women need to know how to wash hair extensions the right way. Hair extension does not like your real hair, it doesn’t have the sufficient nutrients it needs to maintain the smoothness. That is why hair extensions need special care in order to be silky and tangle-free.
Currently, hair extensions are favored by many girls because of their convenience and fashionable look that it brings. In particular, wigs can give you all different styles and colors without fear of damaging your real hair. Here is how to wash hair extensions at home with 6 easy steps.
How to wash hair extensions with 6 easy steps
If you have extensions and don’t know how to wash your hair extensions the right way, this is the article for you. Down below, we will show you how to wash hair extensions in order to keep the hair silky and smooth.
Step 1 of how to wash hair extensions: Comb and untangle hair
The first step of how to wash hair extensions is to comb and untangle the hair. After wearing the hair all day, exposed to sunlight and dust, the hair might get messy and no longer as soft as it was at first. At this point, it is very difficult to untangle and any can damage our “beloved” wig.
- With synthetic hair: you should choose a comb specifically for artificial fiber hair, because this hair type is easy to tangle. Artificial fiber hair can only be used a few times, so you need to know how to wash hair extensions carefully.
- With real hair: when it comes to real hair, most of us know how to brush it, right? If your real hair is already soft and smooth, sometimes you don’t need to use a comb, using your hands to brush it is a good way to untangle it.
In case the hair is frizzy, you should divide it into curls, use hairspray to spray the messy hair for a few minutes and we use a wide-tooth comb to gradually comb it out, because in the spray bottle will have collagen ingredients that make hair soft and smooth quickly, so you can rest assured about the problem of tangled hair.
Step 2 of how to wash hair extensions: Wash hair extensions
The next step of how to wash hair extensions is to put it into water, here are the guidelines.
- Prepare a basin of diluted water and mix shampoo for hair extensions with water.
- Fold the hair extension and dip it into the water. This is the step in how to wash extension hair that many of you are most likely to do the wrong way, because most people will think that washing or cleaning a wig is simply choosing the right shampoo and just putting the hair in and cleaning and then drying it. But the right way of how to wash hair extensions at home without adjustment is that you need to fold your hair and slowly dip it into the water.
- Put the wig in the basin and soak it for 10-15 minutes, then rinse it off with water.
- Continue to add conditioner to the basin of water and soak the wig in the same way as with shampoo.
Step 3 of how to wash hair extensions: Gently squeeze the hair
The next step of how to wash hair extensions is to squeeze the hair extension gently.
- Use two hands, one hand to hold the upper part of the hair extensions, the other to gently squeeze the lower part of the hair to slowly remove dirt from the hair.
- Then you rinse it off with clean water.
Step 4 of how to wash hair extensions: Dry your hair extensions
One of the most crucial steps of how to wash hair extensions is to dry it. Let’s prepare a high quality cotton towel to dry the hair extension after washing, gently massage and keep the hair horizontally to avoid tangles. After that, you can choose two ways to dry the hair extension: let it dry naturally or use a blow dryer.
- Dry naturally: you can use a clothes hanger of a clothesline or a chair to let your hair dry naturally.
- Use a blow dry: In case you want to dry the hair quickly, you can use a hair dryer. However, it is recommended to adjust the temperature to medium, let the dryer be 45 degrees from the wig and place the dryer 20 cm away from the head.
Step 5 of how to wash hair extensions: Use hair care to the extensions
The fifth step of how to wash hair extensions is to use hair care for your extensions. Wait until your hair is 80-85% dry to use a hair care, then let your hair dry completely.
After using hair care you should avoid exposure to direct sunlight, which will make your hair shorten its lifespan. A few months after use, you can nourish your hair yourself, or incubate your hair at home to make your hair smoother.
Step 6 of how to wash hair extensions: Preserve hair extension after use
The last step of how to wash hair extensions is to preserve it after each usage. After a long day of work, you should take off your wig to preserve your hair.
- Use a comb to brush your hair, you can use a little hairspray, then cover the hair with a net and store it in a hair extension bag to avoid dust.
- If your hair gets wet in the rain, you should let your hair dry before storing it as above.
Here are the six steps of how to wash hair extensions at home. Hope these guidelines will help you achieve your desired hair extension.
Notes to help hair extension has long life span
After knowing how to wash hair extensions properly, if you worry about how long does hair extension last as well as in order to keep the hair last for a long time, these following rules are useful for you.
- The hair extension should not be exposed to the sun for too long, it is recommended to use a hat or umbrella to protect the hair extension.
- The extension should only be used when it is dry and clean to ensure that the scalp does not have fungus, unpleasant odors when worn.
- When not wearing extensions for a long time, you should store it in a box or a specialized bag to preserve your hair and avoid external factors that make your hair frizzy.
- When cleaning the hair, do not use hot water, it will affect the durability of the hair, you should only use cold water.
- Do not use a heat irion to make fake waves or dry, curl your hair too many times.
Above are all the ways of how to wash hair extensions at home. Hope this article will help you get the beautiful hair extension that you desire.